Tuesday, July 30, 2013

K9 Kooling Coat Review – Saratoga Horseworks: 4 out of 5 stars


Okay, so we’ve actually had these for a while now. At first Chicago weather got cold again even though it was June (I think?) when we got the coats. But we’ve had plenty of hot weather to test them out for the last month and a half.

I was too lazy to actually measure my dogs and went off the measurement of previous coats we’d used, so they are a tad bit too big but it’s perfect for Chaplin because I can put the coat over his service dog vest and it fits perfect without problems. I’d rather have them more covered than undercovered.

I’m going to give this product 4 out of 5 stars.

Baby’s is fine but Chaplin’s arrived not fully stitched. The Velcro strip that attaches the belly strap did not come fully sewn on. Actually it almost fell off when I was taking it out. I’m really awful at sewing so I had to go to the alterations to get it fixed. I was a bit disappointed with that and the added fee of having to sew a part on that should’ve come sewn on already.

But in terms of how they work, they are awesome. We go running beneath the hot sun no problem. I soak them down before we go but they seem to dry out very quickly, I’m not sure if that’s what they’re supposed to do or not but I feel like the cooling effect of the water is short lived. However, both Baby and Chaplin have significantly cooler fur where the coats cover regardless of it being damp or not. I can tell they’re more comfortable out and about. We head to the dog park with them on and my boys last a lot longer than the other dogs; their break times in the shade are significantly shorter as well.

They have been rather durable and hold up well, which is impressive considering how often we go to the dog park.

Chaplin has his on when we are working too which is nice, I’m less worried when we go out on hotter days. They also stitched on “service dog” to his coat which keeps gatekeepers from asking questions as often than if his coat was unlabeled I'm guessing. Also, Chaplin and I can go running and he doesn't need his actual vest on to insure if there's an accident and I need an ambulance that they'll know he's working for me and will bring him along.

They’re easily removed and easily put back on with a simple clip around the neck area and a Velcro strap under the stomach.

Their representatives were easy to talk to and took the initiative to work with what I wanted prior to the order. I never got around to calling them up when I realized one of the products sent was incomplete – wasn’t sure what they could do anyway considering it would cost more to ship it back than to go to the alterations.

I will add pictures at some point =)

No comments:

Post a Comment