Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Infinity lead from BLD review

Our infinity lead no-pull leash and head halter combo arrived today and we immediately gave it a test run. Chaplin gets absolutely goofy and excited on runs so I thought it'd be nice to try out -- as well as this I like being able to feel his head movements better when he's vested to stay more connected. 

I had high hopes for this product because the gentle leader didn't work at all for Chaplin. This lead definitely did work quite a bit better and has some excellent pros but also cons:

Pros:
  • Has a safety clip to attach to his collar in case the loop around his snout comes off. This was always a fear with the gentle leader.
  • It's conveniently all in one and has both a 6ft and 4ft length of leash (we have the 4ft).
  • It works better than the gentle leader
  • It's simple to use

Cons:
  • The leather stopper isn't tight enough and slips very easily. If he pulled slightly and I brought him back it would loosen. If I re-tightened it, sometimes it would get too tight a couple minutes later (not sure what causes this) and made it difficult for him to breath; I found myself constantly checking it and rearranging it -- obviously disruptive to our run.
  • The handle is very slippery due to the fabric and I felt uncomfortable about dropping it despite wrapping the lead around my hand/wrist a few times.

Overall:

For the most part it's a wonderful product. The main con, I think, may be solve-able. I was thinking of adding two zip ties. One at the base, closest to his head to prevent the stopper from strangling him -- I should be able to get the zip tie loose enough to move but tight enough to not move without pressure. I will then use another one before the stopper to prevent the lead from getting too loose. I'll see how it works and let you all know.

I'm also wondering if there's a fabric I can wrap around the handle or again placing another zip tie to make the handle smaller to decrease the chance of it slipping.

The loosening and tightening problem may only be from my particular lead but it is a hassle. All in all I give it 4 out of 5 stars. It's sleek, easy to use, and works better than the gentle leader. I'm hoping I'll be able to solve the leather stopper problem but that problem is why I am not giving it a perfect rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment