Wednesday, May 8, 2013

What's in your wallet (bag)?

My dogs are very important to me as is their health and well-being. I do not drive so I rely on my feet to get me everywhere I need to go (and public transportation). To ensure I can solve any problems that may arise effectively and immediately I carry a cute bag with some goodies in it. I also carry this even when my dogs aren't vested and we are just going some place like the dog park.

First, I think all service dog handlers should have laminated emergency contact cards with information about their service dog and how to handle him/her or what to do with him/her. My card says they're under strict orders to take the dog in the ambulance with me (if I need an ambulance) unless he's hurt. I also added who his vet is and their number.

I think it's also important to carry print outs of the ADA definition of service dogs, printed directly from their site. Also their page on what businesses can and can't do. I do not carry "ID" cards or "paperwork" for my service dog. We are not required to by law and I think it's awful that we should be expected to fork over our IDs and paperwork whenever someone wants. Instead of getting angry with someone giving me problems I hold my ground, pull out the ADA information and educate them.

Things I carry:
  1. Musher's secret
  2. Water bottle
  3. Collapsible water bowl
  4. Ruffwear booties
  5. Slip lead
  6. Spare collar (martingale)
  7. First aid kit (human friendly!)
  8. A small field guide to dog first aid
  9. Spare treats
  10. Poop bags!
  11. Small towel if my dog gets wet
  12. Print outs of ADA definitions and laws
  13. Some people like to bring pamphlets about them and their service dog because so many people ask about our dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment