Monday, May 6, 2013

What's in your food bowl?



Chaplin is a spoiled doggy and probably eats better than me but oh well! All the better for him =). Dietary needs for my pups have always been on the top of my list. A tired dog may be a good dog but a happy dog is a well fed and healthy dog.

Chaplin gets Merrick's classic food, while on the pricey side it's actually cheaper than a lot of the other 5 star foods*.  Healthy eating cuts down on vet bill costs too so I definitely take that into account.

To help keep his teeth squeaky clean without having to brush them every day I supplement raw meaty bones once a week. I pick them up from my local grocery store. If you decide to use raw meaty bones for dental health be sure you do not feed any weight bearing bones as they can crack teeth. Stick to ribs or something similar -- no knuckles or anything. I like to feed the bone outside to avoid getting germs in the house. Take into account your dog's size and chewing ability, I monitor Chaplin when he eats them. Your pup may be confused at first what to do with them but after some reassurance they will dig in if they are chewers.

1. He gets one tablespoon of plain, fat free yogurt with live cultures to help with digestion (he's gassy otherwise).

2. 1500 glucosamine chondroitin with MSM to preserve and prevent problems with his joints. I know several breeders that start it on their dogs at 6 months of age. By 24 months of age when hip scores were getting graded they were getting OFA excellent hip ratings; they had been getting good hip scores with the occasional excellent before glucosamine supplements were being given to the dogs at 6 months. If you choose to go this route make sure they have the MSM in them or they really don't do much. And make sure to check the amount you supplement according to your dog's weight. I like to buy mine at Costco because they are cheaper.

3. Chaplin also gets Omega 3 (fish oil) for his skin and coat; it was especially a savior over winter when coats get dry and dandruff comes out. I prefer to give it with food because I know in people without food it can cause "iron stomach."

4.Make sure you give vitamin E otherwise the Omega 3 will not be absorbed effectively. About 5 weeks after being started on these his coat has been so shiny and full; we honestly get compliments on his hair whenever we go out for a walk. Do be CAREFUL WHEN GIVING THE VITAMIN E because too much could cause a dangerous build up. He gets two 400 IUs of it a week. One 400 on Tuesday and one 400 on Friday.

The best part is I can take my Omega 3s with him because I really hate taking them myself.


* For those of you interested at getting an in depth look at all of the dog foods out there and their level of nutrition and health, check out dogfoodadvisor.com; they go in detail and explain why they've given the ratings they have.

Feel free to post questions in the comment section about dietary needs and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment