Friday, May 24, 2013

Our Gear

I haven't been approached by the producers of any of the following gear listed, I just figured I'd go on ahead and review the things we use in case any other service dog teams out there are looking for more information on potential equipment =).

Before we begin, let me start by saying Chaplin and Baby receive a barkbox once a month. They send you toys and treats in the mail monthly for a decent fee ($19 a month for a 6 month subscription). They actually send some really great items, all of them adding up to more than what you would pay through a pet store or other online vendors (which would be more than your monthly fee). If you're interested and/or want to sign up click here for a referral to get $5 off your subscription.


Our current equipment:


1. Our harness is a freedom design harness. Currently there is no website and the provider can only be contacted via email, evidently there are some problems finding someone to continue making the products. Here are some pictures of Chaplin wearing it:



 The strap that is in front is a Y strap with a soft material to pad it so as to avoid rubbing -- it's quite nice and has been great for Chaplin's sensitive white fur. Note that the patches (which are great and arrived promptly) are from a vendor on ebay, username: w0vd
Unfortunately the freedom design harness only comes in one size and while it's very adjustable, I put it on Baby who is about 15 pounds heavier (with lots of fur) and a wider frame... and well... the vest just kind of looked funny on him =)



If you scroll to the bottom you'll see the next harness I want. Even though bold lead designs sells vests to connect to the leather harness (which are very nice) I would like to save as much money as possible (and not waste it after buying this vest) I will see if I can attach it like I would with one of bold lead's vests/capes (which I encourage you to check out too if you go the bold lead route).






2. We use a 6ft leather leash, the cheapest one I found on the market with decent ratings is provided by Signature K-9. I ordered from them via amazon:



I've been running short on money what with all the dog expenses like food, training, toys, treats, etc. and for what it costs it's actually been better than I expected. We just got back from a camping trip and I brought this leash to break it in and see what happens. It's worn, but only in the way leather is supposed to be with heavy use. There is no splitting so far, it's lightweight and easy to handle. For $17 it's really great. For a link, click here.





3. Chaplin also has a very nice lupine collar.



Most are about $11 and they are guaranteed for life and will replace your collar should it get wrecked (even chewed). We've been very happy with ours and it looks very nice! For a link click here




4. Of course we use a petsafe treat pouch!






Our petsafe pouch has been absolutely wonderful and at $16 it's held up remarkably well for 6 months now! There have been no problems with it what so ever and it has plenty of space and different pouches for treats, keys, and my phone. For a link click here.











Items on the way:

*I'll be sure to make a new post with my findings/reviews on the incoming products*

From bold lead designs we have the infinity lead no-pull head collar. For a link click here:


1. We don't need it for what most people need it, except for when we jog without his vest on because Chaplin evidently thinks that means go nuts time, but I am hoping it will help me be more connected to his head movements, both when he's trying to alert me and also when I feel his focus slipping. A current medication of mine really causes some drowsiness and I've been making several mistakes with my leash handling and keeping him at appropriate lengths (for his safety when there are less than friendly people and dogs) as well as to keep him closer to me so we are more connected. This head collar seems to be the most comfortable one out there for a dog, as well as easy to use; it also looks like it's safer should your dog slip it somehow. Plus I like the way it looks ;).



2. For the boiling hot summer and Chaplin's black coat (as well as Baby's) I have an order put in with Seratoga Horseworks'-K9 Kooling Coat. I've heard great things about their product and it's been a pleasure working with them to make sure I get what I want. They also embroider words on the coats and color the trim. Chaplin's has a royal blue trim with the words "service dog" on his. Baby's has a red trim.

 "These Canine Cool Coats are made from the same Oasis fabric used in our turnouts for horses. The Oasis fabric is a 100% polyester mesh that offers superior durability while at the same being soft, breathable, and coat friendly. It is an extremely reflective fabric that offers UV-protection (blocking both UVA and UVB radiation) so it will help keep your dog cool even when the coat is dry."





What we really want in the future:

I'll be saving up for a while before I can get the bold lead design harness I really want for Chaplin. I also want to make sure he's fully grown before I get it as they custom design it to your dog's measurements for optimal comfort and has a vet check to make sure his structure is sound enough for this kind of work. Why do I want it so badly? One, it looks AWESOME! Two, my medications are being switched constantly and a lot of them make some mobility problems for me while in my system and I worry I'll be put on one that does that again at any time. As well as this, it will be nice for holding onto when I need Chaplin to lead me out of certain situations and if I am having some balance issues as he's guiding me; it will be soooo much nicer of a transition until I can recover in a quiet environment. For a link click here.


The pricing begins at $285 but these harnesses should rank the highest in the mobility harness business. Please remember, if you plan on doing any mobility work with your service dog make sure he or she is fully grown and has been checked out and approved by your vet for assisting you with your balance.



                                                                                   

I quote from their site:
  • Fully padded for comfort and correct support
  • Quick release buckles make it EASY to put on and take off
  • Adjustable straps for a perfect fit
  • Proper weight distribution minimizes pressure points
  • Ergonomically correct for dog’s body
  • Very light weight and flexible (around 2 pounds)
  • Fixed leather balance handle is made to your desired height
  • Adjustable and removable pull-strap
  • Superior quality materials and workmanship
  • Top quality leather, sheepskin, and quality rust-free hardware for durability
  • Custom made to fit your needs and the dog’s measurements
  • 5 D-rings on harness saddle for attaching straps or accessories
  • Great Fit Guarantee!
  • Guaranteed quality and excellent customer support
  • Replacement straps are available to fit the harness to a new dog


Please be aware this harness is only for dogs 40lbs and over, and as said before, get your dog health tested before doing any sort of mobility work. The rigid handle harness is for dogs 50lbs and over.









2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that harness. I wish I could afford it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't either right now but what I'm doing is offering a private dog training lessons for basic things once and a while. $30-$40 a week will get you there pretty quickly.

      Can you not do the same?

      Delete